Last updated: 19 February 2018
This privacy statement explains what information I gather about you, what I use that information for and who I give that information to. It also sets out your rights in relation to your information and who you can contact for more information or queries.
Please read this privacy statement carefully. By visiting this website you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this privacy statement. If you have any requests concerning your personal information or any queries with regard to our processing, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information about me
In this privacy statement, references to “I“, “me“, “mine” are references to Ian Marsh of Central Court, 25 Southampton Buildings, London WC2A 1AL. I am the “data controller” for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the “controller” for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation when the GDPR comes into force on 25 May 2018.
Collection of information about you
I may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give me. You may give me information about you by participating in bulletin boards, discussions, message forums or blogs, by filling in forms on my website, submitting any job application or by corresponding with me by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use my website, enter a survey and when you report a problem with my website. The information you give me may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph.
- Technical information when you visit my website, including the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, geographical location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
How I use your information
When you provide personal information to me, I may use it for any of the purposes described in this privacy statement or as stated at the point of collection (or as obvious from the context of collection), including:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from me;
- to notify you about changes to my services;
- to administer my website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes; and
- to improve my website to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
Legal basis for processing your information
I rely on one or more of the following processing conditions in order to process your personal information:
- my legitimate interests in the effective delivery of information and services to you and in the effective and lawful operation of my business (provided these do not interfere with your rights);
- to satisfy any legal and regulatory obligations to which I am subject;
- where no other condition for processing is available, if you have agreed to my processing your personal information for the relevant purpose.
Sharing of information
I may disclose your personal information to my employees, officers, insurers or professional advisers as reasonably necessary for the purposes set out in this privacy statement.
Your personal information may be transferred to third party service providers who process information on our behalf, including providers of information technology, identity management, website hosting and management, data analysis, data back-up, security and storage services. The third party providers may use their own third party subcontractors that have access to personal data.
I may disclose your personal information to law enforcement, regulatory, or other government agencies or to other third parties as required by, and in accordance with, applicable law or regulation.
Save to the extent as a result of your having chosen to participate in any on-line communications for public consumption (e.g. blogs or other contributions for consumption by visitors to our website), your personal data will not be transferred: (a) to countries or territories outside the European Economic Area (the EEA), save as provided hereafter; or (b) to any of those countries or territories that are not on the EU Commission’s (or its successor’s) list of countries or territories providing adequate protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in connection with the processing of their personal data (i.e. in respect of which the Commission has made a ‘positive finding of adequacy’), save as provided hereafter; or (c) to the USA unless the corresponding USA recipient of your data has satisfied the applicable requirements of the privacy shield arrangements so as to be deemed under applicable law to provide adequate protection to your rights and freedoms in connection with the processing of your personal data).
Whilst it is not my intention or principal desire that your personal data be processed outside the EEA, it is conceivable that third parties engaged by us in relation to the operation of our website (MailChimp, Google and Twitter) might process the personal data collected from this website outside the EEA, and I therefore draw your attention to the current prevailing privacy terms of such third parties, found at the following urls: as follows:
Retention of personal information
I will retain your personal information only for as it is required for the purposes for which it was collected, or as required to do so by law.
Where I am legally required to obtain your explicit consent to provide you with marketing materials, I will only provide you with such marketing materials if you have provided consent for us to do so.
If you opt into any subscriptions, you will receive automated emails when content is updated. If you opt into any newsletters, you will receive emails known as newsletters. If you select any preferences such as issues, topics, subjects or industries, you may receive email communications related to those self-selected topics.
Unsubscribing from marketing
If you want to unsubscribe from mailing lists or any marketing, you should look for and follow the instructions I have provided within the appropriate area(s) of the website or in the relevant communications to you.
If you do not wish to receive emails or marketing communications from me, you can at any time contact me to request that such communications cease. If you choose to unsubscribe from any or all mailings, I may retain information sufficient to identify you so that we can honour your request.
Rights in relation to your information
You may have certain rights in relation to the personal information I hold about you. In particular, you may have a right to:
- request a copy of personal information I hold about you;
- ask that I update the personal information I hold about you, or correct such personal information that you think is incorrect or incomplete;
- ask that I delete personal information that I hold about you, or restrict the way in which I use such personal information;
- object to my processing of your personal information; and/or
- withdraw your consent to my processing of your personal information (to the extent such processing is based on consent and consent is the only permissible basis for processing).
If you would like to exercise these rights, please contact me by sending an email or by one of the means set out at the end of this privacy statement. We may charge for a request to access your information, if permitted by applicable law.
Security of personal information
I have implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security in order to protect personal information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction. Only authorised persons are provided access to personal information collected via the website; such individuals have agreed to maintain the confidentiality of this information.
Although I use appropriate security measures once I have received your personal data, the transmission of data over the Internet (including by e-mail) is never completely secure. I endeavour to protect personal data, but I cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to or by me.
If you have any questions or complaints about this privacy statement or the way your personal information is processed on the website, or would like to exercise one of your rights set out above, please contact me by one of the following means:
Post: Central Court, 25 Southampton Buildings, London WC2A 1AL
You may also have the right to lodge a complaint with your local data protection regulator.
I may update this privacy statement at any time by publishing an updated version here. So you know when we make changes to this privacy statement, I will amend the revision date at the top of this page. The new modified or amended privacy statement will apply from that revision date. Therefore, I encourage you to review this privacy statement periodically to be informed about how I am protecting your information.